A CONTRIBUTION TO MORE RELIABLE POWER-ELECTRONIC SYSTEMS
New reliability aspects for power devices in application
The research deals with power cycling reliability of power electronic
devices under application close conditions. An advanced testing approach
is presented. The results are underlined by 3D-simulations, which allow a
proper physical understanding.
Standard lifetime tests are low cycle fatigue power cycling tests. There are still uncertainties when extrapolating the results into the high cycle fatigue application range.
An advanced testing strategy is presented, showing first results in the high cycle fatigue zone. The failure modes are analyzed and further investigated by simulation. This revealed new unexpected failure locations and could explain their physical background. This whitepaper explains:
- How a reliable power-cycling test concept, using switching and conduction losses, looks like,
- why testing in the high cycle fatigue area is very complex,
- what you should keep in mind when transferring power cycling results to application close conditions,
- how to use 3D-simualtion to enhance physical understanding of failure mechanisms, and
- what are still limitations for reliability testing in the high cycle fatigue zone.
First publication of the paper at PCIM Europe Digital Days 2021.
The provider of this whitepaper